Read this article and learn why regular shipping containers make a great storage option for dangerous and hazardous goods.
Hazardous goods storage in shipping containers
Hazardous shipping containers- Why Shipping Containers make Great Dangerous Goods Storage
Dangerous goods are defined as: “…substances or articles that pose a risk to people, property or the environment, due to their chemical or physical properties.
They are usually classified with reference to their immediate risk.” (ref ).
Some examples of commonly used dangerous goods include; LPG, paints, acids, pesticides and petrol.
Incidents involving any of these items often result in fires or explosions and have a great potential to cause injuries, damage property and the environment. Unsafe use and handling of dangerous goods may also result in chemical burns, poisoning and other serious health issues.
Transporting dangerous goods is not as easy as transporting other types of cargo. Due to their harmful nature, governments from all over the world have put in place regulations to govern the storage, transportation and handling of these kinds of goods.
Shipping containers are preferred by most users of dangerous goods for transport as they are able to offer protection to the goods within, and also protect the environment from hazardous items.
Why Shipping Containers Are Great For Dangerous Goods Storage.
- Strength - shipping containers are made strong so as to withstand the forces of nature and rough handling during transit. It is, therefore, logical to use them for highly sensitive cargo due to their proven ruggedness. Shipping containers will provide protection for dangerous goods against the elements of weather, seawater, pilferage and physical damage from knocks and shake at a minimal cost.
- Easy to modify – Modifying a shipping container for dangerous goods storage is easy compared to designing and constructing a new vessel for the job. It will cost less to modify a container in terms of money and time.
- Easy transportation – Due to the extensive amount of infrastructure available all over the world for handling and carrying shipping containers, transportation of containerised goods will be very easy. This is because dangerous-goods-shipping-containers do not require any special handling equipment as they are basically just regular containers with a few modifications. Containers will also allow easy intermodal transportation as they are suitable for both land and sea transport.
- Re-usability – Once the dangerous goods are taken out of storage, the shipping container can be converted back into a regular shipping container for purposes other than for storing hazardous items. It can also be used to store other dangerous goods instead of buying a new container every time you require secure storage for these kinds of goods.
We at Tiger Containers specialise in dangerous goods container modifications and produce durable products that are built for safety. We are aware of how important it is to keep these kinds of goods secure and our containers are designed and engineered to provide maximum protection while meeting all Australian standards.
Why our dangerous goods shipping containers are ideal.
- Our containers meet all the Australian regulations in regard to dangerous goods storage and transportation.
- We use the latest designs, high-quality materials and excellent craftsmanship to come up with products that will maintain the integrity of your goods during storage.
- Due to our vast experience in this field, we are able to develop solutions for different types of dangerous goods from petrochemical storage to paint-thinners -- you name it, we’ll make it.
Our specialised dangerous goods shipping containers are designed to protect the cargo inside as well as the environment outside.
Read more about Dangerous Goods Storage >
Dangerous Goods Storage
Examples of DG Containers