Finding a good shipping container to buy can be quite difficult. This is especially so if you are a first-time buyer. With a multitude of options and a load of jargons, a buyer can more often than not end up overwhelmed, resulting in poor choices. So to help you get the most out of your hard earned cash, here is a simple guide outlining some of the most important things you should look for, before making the final decision.
What to look for when buying a shipping container.
In order to get the best container possible, you will need to pay attention to the following.
1. Your needs – Containers come in different shapes and sizes. Sizes can be 10ft, 20ft or 40ft. Variations include; open top containers, insulated containers, refrigerated containers, dry freight, and flat rack containers. Choose one that best suits your needs.
2. Terms used to describe containers – This applies mostly to used containers. Some of the most common terms are:
3. Check the structural soundness of the container by checking the edges for bends.
4. Check whether the container is watertight by closing the doors to see if any light gets in.
5. The doors and hinges should be in good condition
6. The locking door handles should also function freely.
7. Look for possible corrosion under the door seals.
8. Check for odour as this could be an indicator of contamination.
9. The wooden floors of the container should be fairly intact.
10. Check the cosmetics. If it doesn’t look good i.e., its rusty has scratches or is dented; it probably isn’t good.
If the container passes these tests, then it’s good for purchase and will last a long time without needing repairs or disposal. Contact us today to discuss your shipping container needs.
Ask the professionals!