Thinking of getting a shipping container rental? If you are, then you can expect plenty of benefits. First off, shipping container rental cost is a lot less compared to a purchase. It’s a wise choice for a one-off or temporary use, as you won’t have to worry about storing, maintaining or disposing the container afterwards.
Shipping container hire and storage however, shouldn’t be done haphazardly. Just because it’s a temporary arrangement doesn’t mean you should just agree to any container. Following a few simple tips when hiring a shipping container can ensure that you get the best container for your needs and get the most value for your money.
Here are some things you need to consider when hiring a shipping container:
- DimensionsIt’s important that you determine the exact size of the container you’ll need before you avail of shipping container hire. This will depend mostly on what you’re planning to put in the container and your reason for renting a container in the first place, but generally it would be more economical to rent one single, large unit than several small ones. These containers are widely-used and as such are more readily available.
- DurationAnother aspect you need to clarify is the length of time you’ll be renting the container. Of course, you don’t want to go beyond the agreed date of return for the container. To make sure this doesn’t happen it would be a smart to extend your rental duration a little more than the length of time you actually intend to use the container. This will give you a cushion of time so to speak, in case something comes up and you’ll need to use the container a bit longer. It may also be more cost-effective as many container companies offer discounts for longer-term leases.
- DamageWhile shipping containers are no doubt durable, they aren’t indestructible. This is why you must first check the container before you go ahead with the rental. It’s important that you thoroughly check not just the exterior, but the interior as well. Check the walls, the floor, and the roof in particular. This part is not often checked due to its inaccessibility, but its integrity is vitally important. Even a small hole could mean the entrance of moisture and other contaminants into your container, and damage to whatever you place inside. Also check the doors, the hinges and locks. Make sure these parts are free from rust and broken parts, and are in good working condition.
- MaterialIt’s important to make sure that your container is made of durable, corrosion resistant steel especially if you’ll be exposing it to outdoor elements. Rust can be damaging not only to the container but also to the things inside it.
- TransportWhen receiving or planning to transport your container, make sure that you have a pre-established itinerary that specifies its exact route, who will be delivering it and how it will be positioned. This is extremely important because containers are not ideal for transport through certain roads, such as those with tunnels, trees and power lines; and any lapse in handling can cause a major accident. It would be best if the container doesn’t have to go through extended periods of transport. You may be asking, “well, are there shipping containers for rent near me?” And the answer is yes. Tiger Containers has depots all over Australia so you will never be too far from an available container for rent, and we’ll make sure your container gets to you safely and fast, as soon as a day after you confirm rental.
- InsuranceMake sure you clarify insurance obligations with the container company. Most often this obligation is borne by the buyer, and any goods stored inside the container is the responsibility of the buyer. However, some companies such as Tiger Containers do offer warranties if in case you are not pleased with the container.
If you’re interested in shipping container storage rental, let the experts at Tiger Containers assist you. Give us a call today on 1800 072 039 to let us know your container requirements.