A shed is something every man requires. It’s a personal retreat area in your backyard where you go to kick back, unwind and relax after a long week. A shed is the place you keep all your tools and finally bring that project you have been procrastinating on for weeks to life.
And it’s not only here in Australia where men value their sheds; men worldwide appreciate this extra space in their home. It might be called something different – as a result of the many languages out there – but all these names refer to that personal space they have in their yard. A shed is a must have for every man.
If you’re considering building a shed, one of the most important choices you will have to make is selecting the building material. You need something that is durable, affordable and can be set up in just a few days. Thankfully, there is a building material that perfectly fits these criteria; the shipping container.
A shipping container shed is a much more affordable alternative to constructing a traditional shed in your yard. A cargo container is more durable than a wood shed and more secure than majority of the styles of sheds people put up on their property.
The larger size of the shipping container also gives you more room to store your larger items such as a ride-on lawnmower, larger outdoor furniture, motorcycles among other things.
Inspiring examples of shipping container sheds
For inspiration, we shall take a look at 4 examples of sheds that have been constructed from shipping containers with great results.
1. The Studio Pod. There’s something quite satisfying about building something with your own hands. This guy decided to do exactly that using a 40ft high cube cargo container to build his shed. He procrastinated for some time (according to his blog) but he finally gets it done, and the results are beautiful. Notice how he used an old Vietnam-era parachute to drape the space between the shed and his house… recycling is beautiful.
2. The Cargo Container Storage Shed. This shed is made using two 20ft containers laid parallel to each other with a simple carport roof installed to cover the gap in the middle. The large middle space can be used as parking for vehicles – both large and small.
3. The Sea Container Barn. Made using four 40ft cargo containers stacked two up parallel to each other and covered with corrugated iron sheets, this “modern” barn shows just how easy sea containers can be incorporated into traditional designs.
4. The Serenity Pod. This is another example we got from Pinterest. It’s made from a modified 20ft shipping container. The wooden deck was a great touch, and the green surrounding makes the space more serene.
Ways to make the most of your container shed
Once you have built your shed, there’re several additions you can make to ensure that you utilise the container fully. These are:
1. Container Partitions. Containers come in various sizes – 10, 20, and 40ft. This space can be divided up using either solid or removable partitions to help ease organisation when using the space for different purposes.
2. Container ramps. Shipping containers have a slight clearance between the ground and the container’s deck. If you plan to roll or drive in items or machinery into the container, a ramp will be necessary to help facilitate this. This will make loading and offloading the container safe and easier.
3. Shelving/container rack installation. For better organisation and space utilisation you can have shelves and racks installed. Depending on the kind of items you need to store, you can either have them standing alone or attached to the container. Racks and shelves will help you store items off the floor, make it easier to find things, as well as improve vertical space utilisation.
Other modifications that you could add to your shed include:
• Secure locks for improved security.
• Drop down ramps that are integrated into the container’s doors.
• Lighting, Air conditioning, internet and telephone connections.
• Custom windows and doors for natural lighting.
Building a shed should neither be a complicated nor expensive affair. A shipping container will help you build your dream shed quickly and easily. We at Tiger Containers will provide you with a quality new or used container for your shed and even help out with the modifications; all at unbeatable prices.