The 40ft shipping container is the largest standard sized shipping container available. It’s double the size and capacity of the 20ft container and is the second most popular container for shipping – after its smaller counterpart.
Its large size enables the container to carry way more cargo, making it very economical for shipping large quantities of goods. It offers the convenience of two 20ft containers minus the inconveniences and expenses of having to transport two separate units.
Other than shipping, these containers can be repurposed for a whole variety of uses. They can be modified for use in industries such as:
- Hotel and leisure
- And so much more…
40ft Shipping Container Variations
Apart from the standard container, the 40ft shipping container is available in two common variations designed to suit a variety of storage and shipping requirements. These are:
- The 40ft high cube container – This version is slightly taller than the standard 40ft container and is designed to offer more height for tall cargo. All other characteristics are similar to those of the standard sized version.
- The 40ft open top container – This type of container features an open roof usually covered with a removable heavy-duty canvas. Open tops are designed to transport extra tall cargo that can’t fit in a high cube.
All Our 40ft Cargo Containers Feature:
- High-quality steel construction with corrugated walls.
- Heavy duty marine flooring.
- Doors that open the whole 270 degrees.
- Multiple lashing points to securing cargo.
- Forklift pockets for easy transportation.
Benefits of 40ft Shipping Containers
These containers are:
- Large – This gives you more room to store things or create the kind of facility you want. If more room is what you need, then the 40ft container should be your pick.
- Eco-friendly – Re-using old shipping containers – any size – is good for the environment as it reduces the wastage of resources.
- Tough and durable – Like all cargo containers, the 40ft shipping container is built to last. It will last for a long time without requiring a lot of maintenance.
- Versatile – These containers can be used for numerous purposes from shipping to modifications for special purposes.
Uses for 40ft Shipping Containers
These metal boxes are extremely versatile and can be used for a wide range of things, such as:
- Shipping goods – These containers are ideal for shipping goods. That’s their primary use and they are tailor made for it. Their robust construction protects goods from theft, vermin, the elements and physical damage. The 40ft container is especially ideal for transporting low-density and bulky items, helping to reduce overall shipping expenses.
- Storage – This container will provide a lot of room for you to store your items. You can store almost anything in these units, including motor vehicles, documents, sporting equipment, machinery, tools and much more.
- Modification – Sea containers can be converted into numerous structures for non-shipping purposes. These containers can be converted into offices, garages, accommodation, cafes, pop-up shops, swimming pools, man caves and so on.
40ft Shipping Containers – Top 5 Uses
There’s a lot you can do with a shipping container. Its robustness and ability to last has made it a preferred choice for people looking for a durable, yet affordable building material. Almost everywhere you look now there’s a structure made from a shipping container.
In addition to being affordable, shipping containers can be quickly adapted for new purposes, making them suitable for “on the fly” solutions.
The 40ft container is one of the more popular cargo container sizes (the most popular one being the 20ft container) and so has found a lot of use outside of mere cargo transportation.
Here are some of the most popular uses of this versatile shipping container.
- Cold rooms – 40ft containers, with a few modifications, can be converted into cold rooms for storing perishable items. These cold rooms can be used at fixed locations, or placed on flatbed trucks for goods transportation. These kind of cold rooms can either be powered by fossil fuels or plugged into a wall outlet.
- Goods storage – These containers, due to their very large capacity, are fitted with shelves, ventilated and easily turned into stores for non-perishable goods. Their strong construction makes them hard to break into, keeping your items secure.
- On- site offices – When offices are required on-site, 40ft shipping containers provide an easy, yet affordable mobile solution. Their larger size also makes it possible to split them into several rooms, all of which can be used by different people.
- Ablution units – 40ft containers are converted into ablution blocks to provide hygienic sanitation in remote locations or on-site. Because these ablution blocks are essentially shipping containers, transporting them to different locations becomes very easy.
- Accommodation – With just a few modifications, a 40ft shipping container can be converted into a small house. It provides affordable housing and reduces construction time significantly.
The 40ft container’s technical specifications are as follows:
- Tare Weight: 3,660kg (3,890kg for high cubes)
- External length: 12.19m
- External width: 2.44m
- External height: 2.59m (2.90m for high cubes)
- Internal length: 12.03m
- Internal width: 2.35m
- Internal height: 2.39m (2.684m for high cubes)
- Capacity: 67.7m3
- Payload: 26, 300kg (approx.)
- Total weight: 30,500kg
For shipping, the maximum allowed weight of a loaded 40ft container is capped at around 30,000kg – similar to that of a 20ft shipping container. This cap, however, does not apply to containers meant to be used for storage only.
If you are looking for a 40ft shipping container – either new or previously owned – then you’ve come to the right place. At Tiger Containers, we provide high-quality shipping containers at competitive prices. Our expert team can even assist you with container modifications to suit your requirements, so get in touch today.