Secure, weatherproof, tough and versatile, the uses for the 20ft shipping container are endless and limited only by your imagination!
Because of its middle-of-the-road sizing, the 20ft shipping container has proven to be the most popular shipping container for almost all uses, whether hiring or buying from us.
Their more compact size enables the containers to be transported using smaller, manoeuvrable vehicles and be stored in smaller spaces – approximately a single vehicle parking space – all while still providing adequate room for storage.
20ft Container Variations
The 20ft shipping container comes in two common variations from the standard model to suit different shipping and storage needs. These include:
- The 20ft high cube container – This is a slightly taller version of the standard cargo container and is designed to provide extra headroom for taller cargo. It retains all the other traits of the standard container but with a slightly higher build.
- 20ft open top container – This type of container has an open roof design and is meant for transporting extra tall cargo that cannot fit inside a high cube container or standard container.
What Are the feature of a 20ft Shipping Container?
All our 20ft shipping containers come with the following features:
- A robust all-steel construction with corrugated walls for extra strength.
- Heavy duty marine timber flooring.
- Heavy duty wide opening doors (270 degrees) for easy access.
- Floor lashing points for securing goods.
- Forklift pockets for handling and mobility.
Additional features can also be added upon request to suit specific requirements. Just talk to our expert team about your ideas.
What are the benefits of 20ft Shipping Containers?
Some key points to consider regarding our 20ft containers include:
- Robust and durable build – Shipping containers are built to withstand the rough conditions of the open sea, which makes them very hardy and durable.
- Versatile – The 20ft shipping container can be used for a variety of purposes, such as shipping, conversion for multitudes of purposes or storage.
- Eco-friendly – Sea container conversions provide a way of making structures using re-purposed old shipping containers, improving the way we utilise resources and minimising wastage.
What are the uses for 20ft Sea Containers?
These containers are very versatile and can be used for a number of different purposes. These include things like:
- Shipping cargo – This is the reason why the shipping container was invented. It enables consolidation of goods, makes handling easier and enables easy transition from one mode of transport to another. This all occurs while keeping the goods inside safe from the elements, theft, and pilferage.
- Storage – This mobile storage will work just as well when in a fixed location to keep the things inside safe. Just about anything can be stored in a sea container including tools, machinery, sporting equipment, documents, household items, motor vehicles and more. They can also be used as independent sub-storage units within the warehouse for storing expensive items securely.
- Conversion – Cargo containers have proven quite popular outside their normal realm and are increasingly being converted into different structures for use outside of the shipping industry. Popular shipping container conversions include accommodation, offices, ablution units, sheds, pop-up shops and cafes.
Some great examples of modified 20ft Shipping Containers
Millions of unused shipping containers sit waiting for people to utilise them for other purposes. With the turn of the millennium, the use of shipping containers has continued to grow over the last decade and a half as international trade booms.
Due to their excessive numbers, shipping containers are more and more becoming part of our daily lives as we continue up-cycling these boxes for different uses. This has seen shipping containers being used in a variety of industries such as:
- Hotel and leisure
- And much more…
Here are some of the best modifications we have come across…
20ft Portable Clinic by ‘clinic in a can’ (http://www.clinicinacan.org/clinics/20ft-clinic/20ft-photos/ )
‘Clinic in a can’ is a non-profit organisation based in Wichita, Kansas, USA that specialises in modifying shipping containers into fully functional mobile clinics. These clinics can be shipped to any corner of the world. Their innovative modifications have helped people in very remote parts of the globe gain access to vital medical services much closer to them.
Their 20ft container clinic is built to be fully self-contained, enabling it to operate regardless of the available infrastructure. The container provides a one room clinic fitted with equipment capable of dealing with minor to moderate medical conditions. They are fitted with generators or solar panels for power.
Solaris Shipping container bar in Linz (http://www.notcot.com/archives/2012/08/solaris-shipping-container-bar.php#more)
This magical 20ft shipping container transforms into an outdoor bar at the push of a button. The container has been cut three-quarter ways to one length and the adjacent width. This makes for an angled roof cover once the sides are popped open. The interior of the bar is designed like a regular bar, with a counter and shelves for the bottles. Seats are arranged in an adjacent open space to give costumers that outdoor feel as they enjoy their drinks.
Illy shipping container café (http://www.notcot.com/archives/2007/10/shipping-contai.php#more)
Nicknamed ‘push button house’, this café represents one of the best and most attractive transformations of the 20ft shipping container. With a flick of a switch, this regular-looking shipping container transforms into a stylish modern café with the accompanying nitty-gritty. The side walls drop to add to the available floor space, creating a comfortable, spacious café.
20ft Off-The-Grid Tiny Shipping Container House (http://www.livingbiginatinyhouse.com/off-the-grid-container-house/)
Made from a 20ft shipping container, this tiny house has been fitted out with all the things necessary for off-the-grid living. This tiny house is a perfect example of how functional, space-saving designs can be implemented. This very small house manages to squeeze in an office, kitchen area and a bed to prove that you can do a lot with even the smallest of spaces.
Containers are quickly finding their way into our daily lives more and more. New modification designs are being developed continuously and very soon shipping containers will be found, in various forms, all across our landscape.
Technical Specifications of 20ft shipping containers
The technical specifications for the 20ft shipping container are as follows:
- Tare Weight: 2130 kg (approx.)
- External length: 6.05m
- External width: 2.44m
- External height: 2.59m (2.90m for high cubes)
- Internal length: 5.9m
- Internal width: 2.35m
- Internal height: 2.39m (2.684m for high cubes)
- Capacity: 33.2m3
- Payload 28, 350 kg
- Tare weight 30, 480 kg
Tiger Containers provides both new and used 20ft shipping containers for hire and sale at unbeatable prices. Our shipping containers are not only of high quality, but also delivered on time all across the country.
Talk to us about expert container modifications to suit just about any purpose.