There are several things to look for when you are in the market for a used shipping container, so here are some basic guidelines.
Used shipping containers are useful for a variety of applications. Whether you are looking for extra storage, a temporary building or something to use for a new shipping container home, there is nothing more versatile or sturdy than a shipping container.
Used shipping containers are useful for a variety of applications. Whether you are looking for extra storage, a temporary building or something to use for a new home, there is nothing more versatile or sturdy than a shipping container.
There are several things to look for when you are in the market for a container, so here are some basic guidelines when you start looking around for a container:
1. Decide on the shipping container sizes you need.. Used shipping containers are available in a variety of sizes and configurations, with the most common being closed top containers with doors that open on one end. You can select different shipping container dimensions, these are generally available in 40ft and 20ft shipping container sizes.
2. Always deal with a reputable company that has been in business for a while. Although buying of used shipping containers are not unreasonably expensive, you are still going to be spending a large amount of money, so you want to know that the company is going to deliver on what is promised.
3. If you can inspect the container in person, it is best to do that rather than buying a container sight unseen. Check for any holes in the container by stepping inside and closing the door – if there are holes, light will shine through. Check to see that the doors and locking mechanisms all work properly if you need the container for storage. Look for dents in the roof that can collect water and eventually turn into a rusty spot that can develop into a hole. Any patches that have been made on the container should be correctly done so that they do not separate from the container.
4. What is the delivery cost? Used shipping containers are large and heavy and cannot simply be loaded onto a regular truck or trailer. These special containers need to be shipped with proper equipment for safety and to ensure that delivery is seamless. Always enquire if the cost of delivery is included or if it is an added charge.
5. Check for repainting. Even the ugliest used container can be repainted. As long as the repairs that have been made to it have been done correctly, you are investing in a container that you can use for just about any purpose. If you plan to resell the container in the future, then you want to ensure that it is in decent condition. If a container has been freshly painted this might be an attempt to cover up rust spots. Rust is not an issue if it is properly treated with a rust converter, but you will not be able to identify those spots until they bleed through the paint.
If you are looking for second hand shipping containers, be cautious and carry out your due diligence before making a purchase. Ask questions if you need information and educate yourself on what a good used container looks like. Most people are happy with their purchase because they are getting a self-contained box that can be transformed into a variety of buildings or used in a variety of different situations.
Tiger Containers is happy to assist with your used container purchase. Enquire now >