Somewhat a novelty just a few years back, cafes made from shipping containers seem to be popping up everywhere you look nowadays – and for good reason. Increasingly more people are realising how easy and cheap it is to construct their business premises using this material.
Thanks to the abundant supply of shipping containers worldwide, acquiring one to convert into a café is quite inexpensive. The cost saving benefits of container conversions are especially important for businesses that are just starting up and are limited in the way of capital. Traditional commercial-rent-space is limiting to entrepreneurs as most of the time you will be required to pay a down payment a couple of months’ rent upfront.
In addition to this, a container café (because it can be moved easily) also gives your new businesses the ability to try out several spots to find out the perfect place to setup i.e. where there is the most demand for your products and services. But there are more benefits for using shipping containers for building cafés.
Benefits of shipping container cafes
Shipping container conversions into cafes are popular because of the following reasons:
- Portability. Since the café is built into the container, moving it around will just be as easy as moving the container. This makes container cafes a more permanent version of a food truck without all the inconveniences of owning and maintaining a motor vehicle. It is the perfect solution for cafés that would want to move around to cater for events and festivals.
- Hygiene. A cargo container café can be fitted with all the amenities of a traditional eatery including a proper kitchen with working plumbing. This ensures that food served is clean and safe for human consumption.
- Security. Sea containers are very robust and will guarantee the safety of the supplies and equipment you store in the shop. You don’t need to worry about a place to keep your things when you close for the night; just lock up and go home.
- Flexibility. When business picks up, it’s easy to scale up when using a shipping container as all you need to do is add another.
- It’s a physical asset. When you rent a place, all that money you pay as rent is dead. Most of the fixtures and fittings you add to make your café fit for customers can’t be pulled down and moved to a new place if you need to relocate. With a shipping container café, the whole building is yours and can be sold or moved if you need to. It’s your asset.
In addition to supplying quality new and used shipping containers, Tiger Containers is also a specialist in container conversions including turning sea containers into cafés. We’ll take care of everything from sourcing the container (new or used) to modifications and fitting it out with all the facilities you require – your one-stop-shop for your shipping container café.
Some of the common features we include for this kind of modification include:
- Full-length lockable, side opening doors.
- Laminate flooring.
- Retail-style lighting.
- Complete electric packs including power, light, and heating.
- Preparation areas that include worktops, sinks, and any accompanying plumbing.
- Decking and awnings.
Other features can be included at the customer’s request. Contact us for more information.
Café made from 10ft Shipping Container:
If you are ever in Mudgee please make sure you drop in and see this containerised café/gallery.
Tiger Containers proudly supplied all of the containers and also did all of the cuts outs plus framing. We also designed the joining kits locking all of the containers together.