Shipping containers are modular, stackable metal containers that have been conveying cargo by land and sea transport for the better part of a century. These steel boxes are built to withstand weight, moisture, and salt which makes them very durable.
As well as their traditional use (that of shipping goods by train, truck or boat), shipping containers have also been used by businesses and individuals for storage. And in recent years, these metal boxes have been shaped by builders and architects into offices, homes, stores, restaurants among other structures for varied uses.
In addition to durability, shipping containers are gaining popularity for alternative uses outside of shipping, such as construction, because they are:
– Good for the environment. Their re-use ensures resources are not wasted.
– Cheap. Their affordability makes them ideal for construction and other uses outside of shipping.
– Readily available. Because shipping containers are available virtually anywhere in the world, finding one for a project becomes very easy.
Whatever your reason for looking for a shipping container, you’ll at one point need to make the all-important decision of whether to buy or rent the cargo container. There are a couple of things to be considered when making the decision such as the intended use and duration of use.
To help you figure out which option would best suit your needs, we’ve put together a list of the reasons why you would choose to hire instead of buying a container and another with the reasons that would make you buy instead of hiring.
10 reasons to hire a shipping container
- Seasonal needs – For those times you only require a shipping container for a season e.g. for storing out of season items such as winter gear and clothes, hiring a shipping container would be a much more economical option to buying.
- On-site storage – Shipping containers provide the perfect solution for on-site storage needs. They are very secure, easy to install and cost effective.
- Temporary storage – A hired shipping container can be used to store items temporarily. You can store items safely while you get your house or office renovated, or as you make arrangements for relocation.
- Sporadic transport. Cargo containers are perfect for moving goods as several small items can be consolidated into one big regular shaped load. They also make loading, transportation, and handling a lot easier while reducing the risk of loss and damage to the cargo.
- Easy disposal – If you don’t want to deal with the disposal of the shipping container once you are done using it, hiring one is the better option as the owner will take it back once you are done using it.
- Avoiding maintenance – Though not often, sea containers do require maintenance from time to time to keep them in tip-top shape. Hiring the container will ensure the responsibility of maintenance is not yours.
- Flexibility – If you haven’t made up your mind on what kind of container would best suit your needs, hiring one would be ideal. This wold enable you to exchange it with another one if it doesn’t fit your requirements.
- One-off use – For a one-off use such as for an event, a hired cargo container would suffice. It will get the job done at a minimum cost.
- Testing before buying – Sometimes you might not be sure whether a cargo container is what you require for your particular need. By hiring one, you can test it out for some days before you make a decision on whether to buy one.
- To supplement other assets – You may already own several cargo containers but require more for a short period. Hiring provides the extra capacity you require without adding to the number of assets.
10 reasons to buy a shipping container
- Long term use – It’s a lot cheaper to buy a shipping container up front if you plan on using it for several years. Cumulative hiring costs will be more than the hiring cost after long periods.
- Customisation. Hired containers have a limit to the kind of modifications you can make on them. If you need to make large alterations, there is no other option but to by the sea container.
- Recurring transportation use – If you ship large quantities of goods on a regular basis, buying a cargo container would be more economical to hiring one.
- For construction. Building permanent fixtures such as pop-up shops and container homes will require you to buy the shipping container.
- When serious damage is expected. Some uses for the shipping container could result in the container suffering serious damage. If you anticipate this will happen, buy the shipping container to avoid disputes with the owner of a hired one.
- Durability – Sea containers are built to withstand the rough nature of sea transportation. This makes them very durable and ideal for long term use.
- Flexibility – Once you buy a shipping container, you will not need to buy another one if you need it for something else. Sea containers are flexible and can be transformed easily for various uses.
- Convenience – Making arrangements for a shipping container to be delivered every time you need to use one can be quite inconvenient. Buying one will ensure that the container is always at your disposal.
- It is a good investment – When you buy a shipping container, you can lease it out to other people when you are not using it for some extra income. You can also sell it to recoup some or all of the initial sum you paid for it when you need some cash.
- Cost efficiency – When used for building, shipping containers are a more cost effective building material. They reduce the overall cost of construction while producing a durable structure with significantly reduced building time.
These lists will come in handy when you’re analysing your situation to help you make the best decision about for your needs.
At Tiger Containers, we provide both new and used shipping containers for sale and hire. Our containers are competitively priced and quality tested to ensure that you get the best value for your money.